Monday, June 24, 2013

To the Captain

The past two weeks of rehearsal have been interesting as far as "serious" character development has gone. Last week I found Anne's deep want. This week, I discovered why she hangs around Frobisher. The question of if Anne had any real loyalty to Frobisher/ why does she stay with him came up.

It's not because he pays her well, because he doesn't.
It's not because he's a respectful, understanding, charitable human being...because that's not really Frobisher.
So I'm going to let you all read her answer in her own words, a bit more eloquent than the answer that I fished up at the time.

Anne's Words-

Wherefore do I remain in the service of Captain Frobisher? If you wish a honest and true answer you must give me your solemn word that you shall not disclose this information to him. For I do not think that I could face him if he did hold the knowledge of my great debt to him.
It is no secret to me that my guise and great pretend is hardly a disguise at all. While some do seek to keep me in a woman's place, or jail, I am relieved that there are many more who simply ignore the fact displayed in front of them.
Except the Captain. My Captain, it does seem, remains blind despite all manner of blunders and accidents that have transpired during the time I have been in his employ as his apprentice. There are times as such when he does slip and call me by the name of "Mr. Drew" and then a blank look crosses his face and we do resume our normal camaraderie. I cannot therefore say for certain that his is completely unaware of my true self. And I find that I do owe him my loyalty for that fact alone, that he willfully (as least, I so do assume) remains blind and chooses to believe that I, Anne Drew, am Andrew. It is by this belief on his part that I do remain as his apprentice until such a time when I have completed said apprenticeship, or some other fate does befall me (may that never come to pass, for I can think of many an unpleasant ending).
Do I wish that my Captain might one day be able to accept me as his apprentice without this great pretend? I do suppose that I wish that no matter who my master would be. However, just by the fact that he has not thrown me off of his ship for good, or killed me, or worse, is enough for the time being. I do think well of the Captain for all of his eccentric ways.

Now keep these words to yourself or else I shall cause you a mischief so that you will not easily rise from your bed for a sen'night at the least!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So thank you to Steve- who gave me this question. And thank you to my cast for giving me a set of Hot Seat questions that almost stumped me and actually made me think. Too often I've gotten the superficial questions and this week you all gave me doozies that I am still grappling with and thinking about. Anne is not one to open up often about certain parts of her life, but I'm glad fro the chance to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment